The most important thing you need to prepared for on event day? Having fun! But, read below for some other things to keep in mind. Don't be shy about reaching out to Amici with any further questions: email@example.com
What should you Bring?
- Your canoe! Finding canoes is always a challenge for Amici’s Canoe Heads for Kids. It would help us greatly if you brought your own!
- 1-2 paddles (your team must have one extra paddle per boat)
- A certified PFD (to be worn at all times on the water)
- Water bottle
- Sun hat, sunglasses
- Rain gear
- Warm clothing layer
- Closed-toed shoes
- Bug spray
- Toque / gloves
- Padding for carrying canoes
- Extra points for your old camp gear!
The Amici’s Canoe Heads for Kids route is 7.5km of portaging and 7.5 km of paddling along the Toronto waterfront. The portage begins at Harbourfront Canoe and Kayak Centre (283 Queens Quay West) and continues west along the Martin Goodman Trail to Sir Casimir Gzowski Park (1751 Lakeshore Blvd West). At Sir Casimir Gzowski Park, participants rest and have a bite to eat before commencing their paddle along the waterfront back to HCKC. The route is marked by volunteer route marshals who are there to cheer you on, mark the kilometres as you pass, and respond to any emergency situations - they've got your back!
- 11:30 am - Captains arrive at Harbourfront Canoe and Kayak Centre
- 12:00 pm - Participants arrive at HCKC
- 12:30 pm - Welcome speeches!
- 1:00 pm - Staggered portage begins
- 2:30 pm - Teams arrive at Sir Casimir Gzowski Park for lunch
- 3:30 pm - Staggered paddle begins
- 4:30 pm - Paddlers finish at HCKC and head to Canoes N' Brews After Party
Whomp, whomp, all events gotta have 'em. Keep in mind number one is the most important!
- Have fun!
- Participants must be at least 18 years of age
- All canoes in your team MUST stay within talking distance while paddling and portaging (naturally, this means you need to be closer if windy/wavy)
- PFDs must be worn at all times during the paddle (you need to provide your own PFD)
- All groups should follow pre-determined route plan on the maps provided by event organizers
- If lightning is visible, participants must get off water immediately and contact on-land coordinator
- Participants should bring proper equipment and gear for weather and temperature.
- The Team Captain should organize his/her team so that there is one cell phone in each boat at all times.
- Because of the physical nature of the event, and the inherent risk of paddling on open water, it is expected that participants will not consume alcohol or non-prescription drugs during Amici’s Canoe Heads for Kids.
Canoes n’ Brews After Party
Join us from 4:30 - 9:00 pm to celebrate an amazing day of portaging and paddling around downtown Toronto! This year's Canoes n' Brews After Party will take place at the Labatt Brew Pub, located at 207 Queens Quay W.
- $5 cover (free for all Canoe Head participants & volunteers)
- $2 beer, cider and all other Labatt products
We can't wait to see you there!